If you have been following my blog long enough you are probably extremely well aware of my fondness *obsession* of personality tests and personal growth tools.
Oh my gosh. If I could earn a buck every time I tried out a quiz (the StrengthsFinder test, the Enneagram, MBTI or even a Buzzfeed personality test 😉) or scoured the Internet for
I mean seriously, who doesn’t love a good Buzzfeed quiz on which flavour ice-cream you are?!
While not everyone shares my enthusiasm for self growth to the same degree I do, I believe firmly that understanding yourself – strengths and weaknesses alike is so important to succeed not only as people, but as an online entrepreneur.
Plus, unlike the Enneagram, the StrengthsFinder assessment only focuses on your positives. I mean, while I do believe in being humble and all that jazz, having someone stroke your ego a little bit and re-affirm your worth and value is so necessary to grow as an online entrepreneur!
Over the past few years, I have taken the StrengthsFinder test at least 4 times and every single time, while there were a couple of changes in my results here and there, one thing it really taught me was exactly which strengths I needed to capitalize on to succeed and how I could use my StrenghtsFinder strengths to make a positive impact on those around me!
What is the StrengthsFinder Assessment?
Essentially, it works on the premises that everyone has gifts that they’re naturally good at and if you focus on building on those natural strengths, you will be able to live your best life.
What the StrengthsFinder test believes is that if you know your unique set of talents, you will become more empowered to succeed by doing what you naturally do best.
Every. Single. Day.
The Clifton StrengthsFinder test consists of 200 questions (for those of you with short attention spans, you’ve got to really kick that habit to the curb and remain focused!) that ask you a series of questions about who you are, what is important to you, how you relate to others and what you think about.
Prior to starting this article, I decided to retake the StrengthsFinder test.
Seriously, when am I going to stop making excuses to take personality tests?
My top strengths were Empathy, Input, Futuristic, Connectedness and Developer.
To sum this up quickly, my results from the StrengthsFinder assessment essentially says that I enjoy encouraging others, developing relationships based on understanding and acceptance and I am always thinking about future possibilities, playing around with abstract ideas and value creativity.
I was kind of surprised that my results were not very different from my original StrengthsFinder strengths (taken in 2017) where I got Empathy, Connectedness, Developer, Futuristic and Relator. But then again, I’ve always believed that everybody’s innate personality always remained the same.
It’s super interesting read about my strengths and how they impact my life. Especially in my darkest moments. For example, my ‘Developer’ strength allows me to see the potential in others and because I believe that everyone is a work in progress and alive with possibilities, I am drawn to encouraging others to grow and succeed. But, on the flip side, my ‘Developer’ strength also makes me disappointed when I see the people I care about not taking full advantage of their potential and understanding their worth.
Simply getting to know more about your strengths really allows you to understand exactly why you do things the way you do and why you feel things the way you feel which I find to be such a powerful driver for online entrepreneurs.
Why Online Entrepreneurs Need the StrengthsFinder Assessment
- Helps to Find Your Business Direction. Are you somebody who loves logic and straightforward facts? Or do you enjoy relating to others and discovering what makes them tick? Finding out what your strengths are will help you determine your business/blog’s mission statement.
- Growth Through Encouragement. I know that there are people out there who value criticism because they believe that it can lead to growth – while I do respect that and understand where they are coming from, I personally believe that the most amazing thing that can help others grow as entrepreneurs is encouragement. That’s simply because being an online entrepreneur is not an easy task and you will be facing so many haters, negativity and failures that you need to have a sprinkle of positivity in your life to keep you going!
- Increased Business Efficiency. If you work in a team or you’re in a partnership with someone, knowing the strengths of everyone on board allows you to delegate work that is most appropriate to each team member.
- Understanding Your Audience. Whether you work in a team or as a sole proprietor, knowing and understanding the various strengths will allow you to make connections with clients, customers, readers etc. by enabling you to understand exactly what is important to them and what they look for.
- Using Your Strengths to Understand Your Weaknesses. To really succeed in any aspect of your life, you need to hone in on your weaknesses as much as your strengths. One thing that my friend told me a couple years back when I hit a rough patch really stuck with me: “Those who are always sensitive towards the feelings of others, are often the most sensitive.” It made me realize that our biggest strengths can also be our greatest weakness. That’s exactly one of the reasons why I believe StrengthsFinder is so important to your success as an online entrepreneur. It’s not enough just to know how amazing you are (But da-yuuum! You are amazing!) you have to be constantly aware of your weaknesses too. Because your strengths can’t propel you forward if your weaknesses are holding you back.
Please note that this post on the StrengthsFinder assessment DOESN’T include any affiliate links and was written purely on my own subjective obsession 😉 with personality tests and all things related to personal growth.
The Clifton StrengthsFinder test costs approximately $19.99 to take (you’ll receive your top 5 strengths and a guide on how to best maximize your strengths). It’s definitely worth a whirl if you are looking to grow your business in a meaningful way!
Drop a comment in the box below and tell me, have you taken the StrengthsFinder assessment? And what were your strengths?